Friday, September 26, 2008

Can you spell Czechoslovakia? (Touchdown at the Spell Bowl!)

Landon can!!!

Here's the latest in Landon news...

Landon tried out for the Spell Bowl at Maple Ridge Elementary School along with 40+ other 4th, 5th, and 6th graders yesterday afternoon. (Czechoslovakia was one of the words he had to spell). He was pretty nervous about trying out as there were so many other kids. The odds for making the team were not good for anyone. No one wants to try and fail, a hard lesson for anyone to learn. I told him to do his best and that I was so proud of him for trying something new. He was anxious and excited the next morning for the tryouts after school, but he felt prepared. When I got home from work I was anxious to see if I had a 5th grader's wounded heart to heal or if there was perhaps good news. Landon had a silly grin on his face when he came around the corner. In his truly humble way (and those of you who know Landon know what I mean)he said, "Mom, I made it!!" I hugged him and told him how proud I was of him! Then he said, ..."and I got the highest score!" So Landon is a Star Football Jock as well as King of the Spell Bowl. Perhaps someday he may try somethig he can't do perfectly..THIS IS NOT THAT DAY!!!

Haylie has not been the center of our blogging lately and I just wanted to let you know how our daughter is doing...

Haylie loves her class with Mrs. Ray and has made a lot of new friends this year. Her teacher called me the other day to tell me that Haylie is the best reader in her class and consistently scores the hightest on their reading tests. So along with reading and friend stuff as well as managing the CCS (Competitive Cheer Squad) she is busy and happy, blissfully unaware, in a world of her own creation, that perhaps her brother is taking over the world.

She is going to be starting her Tumbling class in a week and a half, and is very excited for that. She also wants to play basketball this winter...busy girl.

Also, Haylie has been working on her new blog...check it out if you get a few minutes. It is still a work in progress, but she is pretty excited to see if anyone will leave her comments. I have Haylie's link listed with everyone else's.

Sorry for the incredible amount of bragging on this post. Sometimes I just can't help it...but, in the words of Cody Yonk, "If you want to know how great we are, just ask us."

Love and miss you all!!

3 comments:

Ma n Pa said...

I love this! I love all of it! I love you! All "Fowler Four" of you!

One of my favorite memories of my week in Indiana is the eggs. Everything I did with eggs was a success. Egg salad sandwiches were a huge hit, and potato salad was great because there were eggs in it!

Why does all this matter right now? Because I miss you.
Love,
Mom
See you in Prague.

Jamie said...

Hi maryann,
this doesn't have anything to do with your post (sorry) it is actually a response to your response to me on my comment on emily's blog. are you following me :)
I just wanted to tell you it was nice to hear someone else verbalize what I am feeling right now and not understanding very well. All I ever wanted to be was a mom and as my baby starts kindergarten and my kids are all older... I feel odd. I don't quite know how to focus my energies. I know since there's 5 of these little & medium sized people I am still needed in many many ways but I also feel lost, a bit like an empty styrofoam cup. The school offered me a little job for 21/2 hours a day while My little guy is in kindergarten. I think I'm going to take it. I know I could clean my house better and cook better, finsih my scrapbooks, etc but I dont' really want to right now. I think I need to do something else for a bit to recenter. Thanks for answering my question.

Ross said...

I have never in my entire life spelled Czechoslovakia correctly .

Just now i had to copy and paste it. Way to Go Landon!!

And way to go Haylie! Of course you are the best reader in the class, you two will probably rule the world one day. When you are older, I will buying up all of your stock... assuming a stock market still exists :)

Love to all!